Hi,

i just started using rhino to do some weird spline and saddle surfaces. I'm trying to dimension some mash part of the surface and i can't do it.

I draw simple box and figured out, that i do not know how to dimension it's diagonal, as I always end up measuring xy - 2dimensional diagonal. (there's a pic with red diagonal attached).

If 3d dimensioning is not included, is there a addon to do the work?

I would also like to draw mathematical curves, like x2 to begin with, is it possible?

I also found some unexpected behavior, when i took area of the mash, then clicked through small square, i got 464 though square area is only about 10. I guess it took area of all mash.

thx, ert

Tags: 3d, dimension

Views: 740

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Hello- you can use DimCurveLength on a line drawn between the two 3d points- does that help?

-Pascal

pascal@mcneel.com

Hi,

this is what i was looking for, yes. Thx. I just noticed that i found this solution before but i was not aware of it. Its also a bit buggy on straight line - you select curve then mesure only part of it (half) and the resault is always total length of the line.

How about drawing functions?

I also found some unexpected behavior, when i took area of the mash, then clicked through small square, i got 464 though square area is only about 10. I guess it took area of all mash.

I think you're confusing the isocurves Rhino draws on the surface with mesh edges.  Rhino NURBS surfaces are not meshes and the subdivisions you see on the surface are not individual sections but rather indications of the flow lines of the surface in the U and V directions.  The surface is one entity, therefore it has one area measurement.  If you want the area of one section, you would need to split the surface by isocurves around the area and then measure the resulting split surface.

http://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/nurbssurfaces
http://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/nurbs

For curves/surfaces generated from math functions, visit:

http://rhino3.de/_develop/__v3_plugins/math/

----H

Thanks, this cleared up few thinks.

What I'm trying to do is to draw a sphere (elipsoid or some other double curved surface), cut it up by my desires and measure the cutted peaces.
How do I make NURBS surface out of surface or mash.

Also i would also like to "peel" of the sphere (which is not quite possible, but still). I made aproximation - draw a polyline around one mash plane move it out and try to measure it. Curve measurement always displays the full polyline length not just one side. Exploding does the trick, is there another way of measuring/extracting the "patch"?

Can i cut up sphere with NURBES at defined maximal length measured over sphere? Lets say i want to make a ball - sphere with diameter of 30, out of tape with width of 10, how should i cut my tape, and where to glue it together?

Attachments:

How do I make NURBS surface out of surface or mash.

A Rhino sphere or ellipsoid is already a NURBS surface. You are not creating Mesh objects in Rhino unless you specifically call one of the Mesh creation commands - otherwise all surface objects in Rhino are NURBS surfaces or polysurfaces (BReps).

Curve measurement always displays the full polyline length not just one side.

That is correct...  A script could be concocted to list all the sub-lengths of a polyline/polycurve.

is there another way of measuring/extracting the "patch"?

Again a script could be written for this...  better still would be to use Grasshopper to extract the individual patches in the surface according to entered parameters.

----H

I made a surface of double concavity with network of splines.

I think that at first i got nurbs surface but when i save it as .dwg and open it again it is displayed as series of splines. Is this true?

I would like to stretch the surface once it is made, how to?

Is it possible to made finite surface area then bend it, without stretching?

RSS

Translate

© 2014   Created by McNeel Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service