On multiple occasions I've had boolean operations fail in Rhino5 that I was able to complete successfully when I move the file into Rhino4. Has anyone else had this issue? Is this a known problem? Is there a solution on the user end? I've uploaded a file with this issue, if anyone is interested in having a look.
I am experiencing this issue at the moment.
When objects are to be joined, it fails when they are touching or flush.
If I revise so the objects actually intersect, all works as expected.
I am still going through scenarios, but it is definitely an issue.
I find the same with your file.
By amending the pieces which I did purely by moving faces so as to create an intersection between pieces, all unioned as expected.
Hi Ryan- I see it, thanks, I'll add this to the bug heap. I'm surprised this works in V4 actually, usually Booleans involving non-planar coincident faces will fail in those areas.
One other thing to keep in mind - since Boolean operations are essentially shortcuts for Split/Join/Delete, it is usually possible to do this and get the clean result you want rather than moving objects just so that they intersect better for a Boolean and a result you don't want. In this case, extractSrf the back (roundy) surface of the smaller part and the pair of coincident flat faces, use the small part to Trim the corresponding location on the larger part and Join.
I found a similar problem with 'difference' last night.
Putting a mitred end on a box, by subtracting a box aligned to an edge and rotating along that edge, failed everytime.
Hi Barry- if you find cases you think should work, please send them to me or to firstname.lastname@example.org for a look. Ryan's example shows the intersector in V5 is not correctly handling the coincident cylindrical faces, and there is now a good chance we can fix that.