Hello all, new poster here.

When Rhino 5 beta finally expired I used the Control Panel's Add/remove applet to remove it from the system (with apparent success).  Some weeks later I received the 5.0 release and attempted to install it from the DVD.

Installation failed with the following log:

GetInstalledRhinoDetails returning false; Registry key not found
Starting process http://download.mcneel.com/zoo/
Installation Starting
Installing dependency 'UNINSTALL_MSI' from '{E501C2B8-94A7-4254-B420-97158A594A82}' with status text 'Uninstalling 32-bit Rhino 5.0 Beta'
Starting and waiting for process msiexec.exe /x "{FE7212DE-F6C2-4844-9E49-BAA9F2CC9694}" /qn /l*+ "C:\DOCUME~1\JFC\LOCALS~1\Temp\mcneel install (2013-03-18 09-26).log"
Process completed with exit code 1605
Installation failed; exit code 1605
Starting process notepad.exe C:\DOCUME~1\JFC\LOCALS~1\Temp\mcneel install (2013-03-18 09-26).log

I have done everything recommended on this page and have spent quite some time scouring the registry for entries (it was littered with them after the "uninstall" of the beta).

Everything looks clean and good, but the same message occurs after every install attempt.

What next?

Luckily, I have a working 4.0 installation on the same machine.

Thanks in advance for guidance,

John

Win XP SP3

Views: 409

Replies to This Discussion

Hi John- I am checking with the developer on this.

-Pascal

pascal@mcneel.com

Hi John,

I'm sorry you're having difficulty getting Rhino 5 uninstalled. It's because of some corruption in the Windows Installer cache (this is an area of the Windows Registry that Microsoft's Windows Installer service maintains).

Did you try the last step in the manual uninstall instructions that show how to clean the Windows Installer Cache? If not, please do them now - it's the only thing that's going to get you back up and running.

You may also need to follow the 1402 error instructions after that.

Hi Brian (and Pascal)

Long time no talk...  my oldest surviving Rhino models date from 1999.  Quite a while back.

Have avoided the Installer Cache trick specifically because of the warnings associated with doing it, but will tackle that in the next few days and report here.

Thanks

John

Hi Brian i am having a similar problem.
We got our Rhino 5 educational version delivered in our Institute lab yesterday,
in one of the 64 bit system we used to have rhino 32 bit beta and rhino 32 bit evaluation installed

we had both these uninstalled before the new installation of rhino 5

but somehow rhino installer  returns the following error

"Uninstalling 32-bit Rhino 5.0 Evaluation failed" (1612)

the error log reads as below

GetInstalledRhinoDetails returning false; executable not found
Installation Starting
Installing dependency 'UNINSTALL_MSI' from '{E501C2B8-94A7-4254-B420-97158A594A82}' with status text 'Uninstalling 32-bit Rhino 5.0 Beta'
Installing dependency 'UNINSTALL_MSI' from '{72C91ACB-6D63-44F6-B8B2-26C78F33F9C8}' with status text 'Uninstalling 32-bit Rhino 5.0 Evaluation'
Starting and waiting for process msiexec.exe /x "{7E9BB118-845A-4984-8808-73566DB51DD1}" /qn /l*+ "C:\Users\ASUS\AppData\Local\Temp\mcneel install (2013-03-23 13-46).log"
Process completed with exit code 1612
Installation failed; exit code 1612
Starting process notepad.exe C:\Users\ASUS\AppData\Local\Temp\mcneel install (2013-03-23 13-46).log

please help

Hi Brian

I have a new computer arriving this week and have decided to install 5.0 on it instead.  My 10-year-old XP system is so fragile I am unwilling to mess with it too much.

It is worth adding that the issue reported above appears related to Rhino 5.0 beta's interaction with the registry.  As a developer myself, I consider the registry an anathema to best practices and avoid it wherever possible. 

Please consider supporting a so-called "portable" (that is: "register-less") implementation of Rhino in the future.

Thanks for listening!

John

RSS

Translate

© 2014   Created by McNeel Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service