Neon 1.0 Release Notes
Neon 1.0 SR1 2013-05-17
- Installer shows Getting Started video at the end.
- Support for vertex colors in Rhino Render and Vertex color texture in Brazil.
- Support for object cast/receive shadows.
- Support for Brazil per-ray visibility flags.
- Performance improvement with Brazil GI skylight.
- Performance improvement when changing azimuth or offset of an environment with skylight on.
- Fixed several memory leaks.
- Fixed shader crash in dots texture.
- Fixed crash when showing named view panel with Egret rendered views.
- Fixed Fresnel blend not working in BAM reflectivity slot.
- Fixed a crash when a texture is changed on a material.
- Restore defaults in display mode options dialog page did not work correctly.
- Brazil GI skylight transparent shadows did not work correctly.
Public Release 1.0 SR0 2013-04-08
- Brazil Gradient environments caused a shader compilation fault
- Simplex noise caused a shader compilation fault
Beta 16 2013-03-21
- Fixes HDR textures local mapping parameters did not work.
- Fixes problem with curve piping not working immediately after ApplyCurvePiping is run.
- Fixes long delay when showing objects with very large textures
- Fixes occasional hang when restarting a rendering after completion by changing the view.
Beta 15 2013-03-15
- Removed Neon material to resolve confusion about Neon being a renderer.
- Solves renderer restart causes long hang (and possibly a crash) when adding loads of geometry to the scene.
- Material paremeter changes are now instant.
- Fixes broken Brazil Utility Material support.
Beta 14 2013-02-07
- Baking resolution for decals is now determined by the texture simulation size.
- Bad meshes passed into Neon caused random crashing. Neon no longer accepts bad meshes as input.
- Some meshes caused the bump tangent system to crash. This is now fixed.
- Changing the number of passes while Neon was stopped caused a crash on restart when the Skylight was on.
- Background problems with printing and viewcapture have been fixed.
Beta 13 2013-01-23
- Progress dialog for viewcapture and printing
- Fixes intermittent renderer hang caused by concurrency issues
- "Raytraced (Neon)" display mode still appeared on first run.
Beta 12 2012-12-17
- Alpha support for all procedural textures
- Viewcapture at screen resolution didn't capture wires
- Fixed re-render bug for incremental save
- Lock and pause button fixed.
Beta 11 2012-11-29
- Saving no longer restarts the Neon rendering
- View capture at the viewport resolution did not capture instantly and restarted the rendering
- Brazil evaluation was disallowed
Beta 10 2012-11-23
- Larger than screen size view captures are supported.
- Printing a Neon viewport is supported.
- 3dm thumbnail rendering is supported.
- Limited support for alpha blended textures (full support coming)
- Non skylight GI through transparent objects supported.
- ZoomLens command was not supported.
- Transparency on basic materials was inverted.
- Problems with mask texture fixed.
- Environment change speed improved.
- Deadlock when changing Brazil sun shadows setting fixed.
- Processor core 100% usage when running multiple sessions is fixed.
Beta 9 2012.8.30
- Integrated Brazil SDK 1.1 Beta 10. Many optimizations and fixes.
- Improved dynamic dragging performance.
- Fixed shadow matte using the wrong background when display or brazil overrides are active.
- Fixed enabling the Sun or the RDK skylight adding the light to the scene when active lighting method is not "Scene Lighting".
- Fixed moving an object with a custom render mesh causing an error condition "Primitive instance not found" when the custom render mesh and regular render mesh count was different.
- Fixed Brazil GI Skylight turning on when active lighting method is not "Scene Lighting".
- Beta expiry warning doesn't pop under the splash screen
- Old files (written prior to January 2012) can be written to.
- Detail viewports were not supported.
- The name of the Neon mode is now "Raytraced with Neon" to avoid problems with command line input.
- Fixed crash bug when renderer was not initialized.
- Fixed several shader errors discovered while Beta 9 was in the field (9a, 9b)
Beta 8 2012.06.28
- Support Rhino Display Appearance "Backface settings".
- Initial support for Brazil Shadow Matte material.
- Shadow matte is applied to the groundplane if the assigned material is a basic material with 100% transparency and 0.0 ior.
- Fixed a bug that caused Neon material to update slowly when used as a child material.
- Fix Page objects being added to Neon scenes.
- Fix Block objects not being hidden when affected layers are hidden.
- Fix Materials not updating for block objects.
- Fix reference objects not appearing on the scene on startup.
- Adjusted the ways the Neon material polish and frost controls are interpreted. This will result in a reduced effect that should better match what the user expects.
- Neon no longer prints an error box in rare cases where an object was already in the scene, and the same object was being added again.
- Fix bitmap textures being read at a much slower speed than previous betas.
- Fix RDK Gradient procedural colors being swapped.
- Fix custom curves with no changes evaluating as a flat 0.0 curve instead of linear 0.0 to 1.0.
- Fix Neon Material Bump effect being too shallow.
- Enabled backface reflections for Brazil Chrome and Porcelain materials.
- Fix "Swap colors" on textures like Checker causing crashes.
Beta 7 2012.06.18
- Added a new Command "NeonHUD" to toggle the visibility of the Neon status overlay.
- Added a new Command "NeonRenderControl" to allow pausing the rendering of Neon and locking Neon from restarting from updates.
- Neon will now automatically pause and resume while the user runs any of these commands: Render, RenderPreview, RenderInWindow, RenderWindow or ReduceMesh.
- Removed Neon HUD from ViewCaptureToFile/Clipboard captures.
- Fully support the different RDK procedural noise types.
- Support Brazil Plane primitive. Infinite plane is supported by creating a large finite plane.
- Support Rhino Display Appearance "Color & Material usage" settings.
- Support Rhino Display Appearance "Background" settings.
- Support Rhino Display Appearance "Flat Shading" setting.
- Support Rhino Display Appearance "Lighting Method" settings except "No Lighting".
- Support Rhino Display Appearance "Use lights on layers that are off" setting.
- Reduced the effect of bump to better match Brazil and Rhino rendererer.
- Neon no longer overwrites changes to the display mode settings
- Neon retains document settings such as max passes correctly.
- Fixed two-point perspective "missing function" error.
- Fixed Brazil Light domes and the RDK skylight using Y-up coordinate instead of Z-up.
- Raytraced (Neon) displaymode now defaults to "Use Renderer" as the background mode.
- When a new update happens and Neon is paused, it will unpause and start rendering unless it is also locked.
- If Neon is locked, nothing the user does should cause a restart. All the updates are cached, ready to be processed when unlocked.
- If Neon is locked and the scene is modified, the wireframes will not match.
- Sparse convolution is really slow and does not work in the bump slots
Beta 6c. 2012.05.29
- Speed improvement for models with many mesh quads
- Shader compile speed improvement.
- Support Brazil "force 2-sided" setting
- Fix Basic material not compiling properly if there is a texture in the environment slot
- Neon no longer listens to events if it is not turned on.
- Fixes crash bug related to light/material updates.
- Fixes crash bug with too many GI rays being produced in certain scenes.
- Saving a named view no longer takes 2 seconds to create a thumbnail
- Fixes reflections and refractions when only one is used.
- Fixes Block transform not being applied when loading the scene.
Beta 5. 2012.05.22
- Support Brazil Advanced Material: Velvet
- Support Brazil Utility Material
- Support Brazil Global Fog environment
- Added an overlay to the viewport which displays Neon status
- Uses OpenRL 1.1's zip shading system - render times should be significantly faster.
- Initial world update when loading Neon is now properly run on the Render thread, resulting in shorter blocking times for Rhino
- Properly hook up Depth of field F-Stop control. This means that the Focus radius control now does nothing.
- Default light in Brazil no longer has shadow
- Enabled shadow bias controls for lights
- Fixed Adjustment being applied twice on bitmaps and HDRs. This fixes bugs like the opacity texture being inverted in Brazil Default Material
- Initial passes are shifted a few pixels - this is now fixed.
- 32-pixel repeating integrator pattern has been removed.
- Brazil Physical sky will no longer render a black sun if the sun is below horizon and Render sun is enabled
- Object to Object GI no longer bleeds through groundplane
- Brazil Advanced Material: Velvet transparency does not match the Brazil transparency
- Global Fog does not fully match Brazil
Beta 4. 2012.05.03
- Added pass throttling proof-of-concept code. Should improve Rhino rendering/boolean etc performance.
- Support Brazil Two and Three color gradient environments
- Sun updates should now be realtime
- Fixed "Use sun colour" checkbox not working in Brazil Sun settings
Beta 3. 2012.04.27
- Support Linear workflow (with latest Rhino 5.0 Beta)
- Support Brazil Angular Blend as a texture in a child slot
- Support Brazil World Angular Blend as a texture in a child slot
- Support Brazil Physical Sky environment
- Fixed a crash that occurs if the user closes Rhino or Neon while there is a Neon update in progress
- Added a system to eliminate problems with coincidental faces
- Fix updating a Brazil Advanced Material taking too long
- Enabled backface reflections for non fully transparent materials
- Fixed Basic material emission slot not working properly when reflected
- Fixed Brazil GI Environment having the wrong projection and ignoring the mapping of the texture
- Sped up adding and removing lights from the scene by a large factor
- Fix groundplane not emitting or receiving GI rays
- Fix groundplane "show underside" option not being hooked up
- Brazil Physical sky colorscale is slightly off
- Brazil Physical sky will render a black sun if the sun is below horizon and Render sun is enabled
- There is now a hardcoded limit of 60 active lights in the scene
- Object to Object GI bleeds through groundplane
Beta 2. 2012.04.19
- Support for Two-point perspective.
- Support Brazil Fresnel Blend as a texture in a child slot, IOR map is currently disabled.
- Disabled baking for sphere, planar and cylinder mappings, as per current Rhino behaviour.
- One processor core is now reserved for modeling.
- Initial Support for ViewCaptureToFile/Clip
Same size capture works straight away.
Custom size capture needs to re-render the scene, blocking Rhino until it is done or the user cancels the process via hitting ESC.
Doing a custom size capture will cause the viewport to restart rendering after the capture is done.
High-resolution captures (capture dimensions larger than current screen dimensions) are not supported.
- Fixed a rare bug that caused Neon to render with wrong featureset.
- Moved "Baking Texture..." trace to log instead of Rhino Console.
- Fixed a crash bug with several materials
- Auto-save caused a restart (along with several other events - saving a named view, cplane etc)